Monday, July 11, 2016

Capturing Star Trails at the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse



Every year while visiting my parent's house, I take long exposures of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. It can be difficult not to lose the details in the top section of the lighthouse, while photographing it. I recently figured out a technique to help remedy that situation. This is almost an hour long exposure. While the world rotates, the stars travel across the sky and the end result has stars leaving a trail. If you look closely on the left side of the photo, you can see a meteorite trail that intersects the star trails. I missed a few spots with my bug spray and the mosquitoes feasted on my ankles while I stood there taking the shot. I used to get a little worried standing alone in the dark, but I've done it so much that I rarely get spooked anymore. I am working on getting a gallery up if anyone is interested in buying a print of this photo.

No comments: